The origins of the National Roads Administration of Luxembourg date back to 1843. It was created by William II, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg, in order to implement a coherent road network. At this time, Luxembourg, which had gained independence in 1839, had a rather modest road network of only 200 km, which were mostly in a deplorable state.
In order to meet the requirements of each era, the administration was reorganised in 1884, 1897, 1918, 1946, 1964 and 1974, as well as in 2010, the year when the organic law currently in force was enacted (PDF, p. 102).
By the end of 2016, it managed a road network made up of 165 km of motorways, 837 km of national roads and 1,891 km of ‘chemins repris’.
It is placed under the authority of the member of government responsible for public works.